2/28/12

April 2009 Big Sur Marathon experience.....it is calling me.....

I had always hoped I would be able to share my marathon experience somehow because it is not describable ...and then I found these 3 excellent videos on Youtube...covering the whole marathon in less than 15 short minutes. While I watch this.....I am reminded that my mind is stronger than it is presently, and that I can break out and surprise myself.....I wish I had this video BEFORE I did the marathon! Such great points and insight!









Hurricane point (on video 2) was literally the most physically and mentally challenging moment of my entire life..mile 10 to 13..30 minutes of battling with myself about quitting, that I could never finish, that the hills were too steep and that I could not lean forward and cut through the wind, and that my body was not built to run like runners do...thank God for the drummers music, the signs, the inspirational sayings, and the amazing runners beside me. When you all have one goal, which is to finish, you are instantly surrounded by team mates in a marathon.

Bixby Bridge at mile 13 was the best cry I ever had in regards to accomplishing something I thought was impossible (13 miles being my first half marathon - and going forward to finish the whole marathon), and the piano player in the middle of the bridge smiling at everyone, the ocean beneath me and the blue sky above was ethereal.

Lastly, the bag piper at mile 25 hill was genius - it instantly connected my mind with a pride to be great and the mantra 'pain is temporary pride is forever' (thank you Glendora high school color guard and Mike Inzunza)that pushed myself and my running partner at that point to the finish ...whomever created the course to have a HILL at mile 25...not so genius!! (A marathon is 26.2 miles!). I ran this marathon in 5:50 which was not a qualifying time for a medal, which meant when I got to the end of the race I did not get a medal. This, at the time, felt like an immense failure....but looking back, the fact that I finished was what was key. I focused too much on time, and too little on the experience and happenings around me. Good lessons come from looking back, right?

The views were amazing, but for a first time marathon I would not recommend Big Sur, you need to be conditioned for this challenging course...this lady plans to do it once more after a bit more training and experience with serious hills, wind, and elevation changes. I'm happy that I finished - and I know I can do it again.

It's officially time for a new pair of running shoes. 3 years recovering my foot and being away seems long enough. Ace, if you are reading this....it can come out of the wedding flowers budget :) Haha! So...next year I plan to do a half marathon. That will be the start :)


2 comments:

  1. Kathy, thank you so much for writing this post. I never really was able to talk to you about your marathon, and how you felt. I felt overwhelmed with emotion as I sat at my desk reading it. It gave me a sense of empowerment. A feeling of I can do something. A feeling that I am stronger than I know but have never really had my ah ha moment. Thank you for sharing this part of your life...it meant a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely darlin, I'm glad it connected with you and hit home. We all have incredible things that way tuck away within us. :) Love you!

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs